Getting a certified copy of your documents



Occasionally, AvSuper requires a certified copy of specific documents (also known as certified ID) to help us process and administer your membership; for example, by law we need to verify your identify before releasing any money so may need copies of a driver’s license or passport. Even if you have provided evidence before, we must request it again if more than 12 months has passed.

If the original document is not in English, we will also need certified copies of a professionally translated version and a certificate of accuracy.

What is a certified copy?

A certified copy is one that an approved person (see below) has verified that it is a genuine copy of the original document. Each and every page must include the phrase “certified true copy” and the signature, name and qualification of the approved person, plus the date of certification. Using certified copies means that you keep the original but we can be sure of the authenticity of the information.

Who is an approved person?

The following people can certify copies of the originals as ‘true and correct copies’:

  • A financial adviser or financial planner
  • A finance company officer with 5 or more continuous years of service with one or more finance companies (for the purposes of the Statutory Declaration Regulations 2018)

NOTE: Most AvSuper staff meet this requirement so we can assist you with certifying copies of original documents in our Canberra office or when we visit other locations.

  • A Justice of the Peace
  • A person enrolled on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory or the High Court of Australia as a legal practitioner
  • A judge or magistrate of a court
  • A police officer
  • Certain medical practitioners including a pharmacist, dentist, nurse, psychologist and optometrist
  • A member of State, Territory, Local or Federal Government
  • A teacher employed full or part-time by a school or tertiary education institution
  • An agent or permanent employee of the Australian Postal Corporation with 5 or more years of continuous service in an office supplying postal services to the public
  • A member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, CPA Australia, the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or the Institute of Public Accountants 

The Statutory Declaration Regulations (2018, schedule 2) lists all qualifications currently accepted for certification of documents.

Phone 1300 128 751 (Local call)