Insurance cover for new, young and inactive members
By law, insurance can only be associated with certain superannuation accounts or with express consent of the member. This is to reduce the erosion of super accounts (in particular small and inactive accounts) and avoid members inadvertently holding insurance through multiple accounts.
We cannot provide insurance to you if you fit into one or more of the following categories:
- Your account is classed as inactive – relevant laws define any account that has no contributions received for 16 or more consecutive months as inactive
- You are under 25 years of age when you open your account (from 1 April 2020)
- Your account balance has not yet reached $6,000
Want some insurance cover anyway?
We understand that sometimes you don’t make contributions but want to keep your account and insurance cover going, such as when you take parental or study leave from work. So we will warn you before your account is inactive for 16 months and you can take action to enable your cover to continue while your account is inactive.
Likewise, you may want insurance cover while young, especially if you have financial and family commitments. Note that cover will commence when you reach a $6,000 balance and turn 25, but you can choose to have it sooner.
If you would like your default AvSuper cover even if you have less than $6,000 in the account, are under 25 years or your account is not getting contributions for a while, you can complete the relevant form below to let us know. Normal eligibility rules, fees, terms and conditions apply.
You can also keep your account active and build your super savings by taking any of the following steps:
- nominate AvSuper as your fund for employer contributions – simply complete our Member choice form and give it to your employer
- make a personal contribution to your account at any time – or get your spouse to make a spouse contribution to your account
- roll super out of another account into your AvSuper account – find out more on our transfer to AvSuper page.
If you are unsure about having insurance cover or how much cover suits your needs, contact our Member Advice Consultants for assistance on 1300 128 751. Fees may apply, depending on the advice required.
Elect to have default AvSuper insurance
Elect to maintain AvSuper insurance
Things to note about making an election to have default AvSuper cover:
- the election remains in place until your insurance cover ends for any reason
- all insurance terms and conditions, including your duty of disclosure and maintaining a $1,200 minimum balance, are not affected by this election
- you can vary or end your cover at any time, subject to AvSuper insurance terms and conditions