Insurance cover and inactive accounts
By law, insurance can only be associated with certain superannuation accounts or with express consent of the member.
We cannot provide insurance to you if you fit into one or more of the following categories:
- Your account is classed as inactive – any account that has no contributions received for 16 or more months is classed as inactive under the relevant laws.
- You are udner 25 years of age when you open your account (from 1 November 2019)
- Your account balance has not reached $6,000
Want to keep your insurance cover?
We understand that sometimes you don’t make contributions but want to keep your account and insurance cover going, such as when you take parental or study leave from work. So we will warn you before your account is inactive for 16 months and you can take action to enable your cover to continue while your account is inactive.
Likewise, you may want insurance cover while young, especially if you have financial and family commitments. If so, please complete an insurance application form or log into Member Online and apply via the insurance tab.
If you would like your AvSuper cover to continue even if it you have a less than $6,000 in the account, are under 25 years or your account becomes inactive for a while, you can complete the following form to let us know. You can also keep your account active and build your super savings by taking any of the following steps:
- nominate AvSuper as your fund for employer contributions – simply complete our Member choice form and give it to your employer
- make a personal contribution to your account at any time – or get your spouse to make a spouse contribution to your account
- roll super out of another account into your AvSuper account – find out more on our transfer to AvSuper page.
Electing to continue your AvSuper insurance
Things to note about making an election to continuing your cover:
- the election remains in place until your account becomes active (if it has been inactive) or your insurance cover ends for any reason
- all insurance terms and conditions, including your duty of disclosure and maintaining a $1,200 minimum balance, are not affected by this election
- you can vary or end your cover at any time, subject to AvSuper insurance terms and conditions