AvSuper’s voluntary insurance fees are based in part on your occupation class, meaning that lower risk workers generally pay reduced fees for the same level of cover. Occupation classes are based on what you do as a job and in your personal time (such as hobbies and special interests).
By default, you will pay fees for a light blue collar worker unless you tell us you belong in a different class. If you change jobs or finish a personal interest, you can request a change in occupation class by completing our online change occupation form, a paper Change of occupation class form or contacting us via phone or email.
The four occupation classes we offer for insurance purposes are:
- You work indoors (at least 80% of the time) in a sedentary capacity, have a tertiary qualification, belong to a professional institute or are registered by a government body, and earn over $100,000
- White collar
- Professional pilot OR you work in mainly clerical and administrative duties, mostly indoors and in a sedentary capacity.
- Light blue collar
- Air Traffic Controller OR you are mainly engaged in light manual duties, you may travel for work but do not deliver goods (e.g. you may be in retail or sales, a computer technician, a supervisor of manual work or a professional with some fieldwork).
- Heavy blue collar
- Fire fighter OR you predominantly perform manual or heavy manual work (e.g. a cleaner, a labourer, a delivery driver, a storemen, a production worker or a machine operator)
- Certain high risk occupations, as determined by the insurer are not eligible for voluntary cover