Self Employed? In order to claim a tax deduction for personal contributions made since 1 July 2007, you need to complete a form.

As a self-employed person, you don’t have to pay yourself super under the Superannuation Guarantee, but you can claim a tax deduction for any contributions to your super account.

Personal contributions that you claim deductions for will be taxed at 15% and preserved, and do not count towards a co-contribution entitlement. Please contact your accountant or the ATO for specific details about your individual needs.

Claiming deductions

Before you submit your tax return to claim a deduction for any super contributions you may have made, you must submit a Deduction for personal super contributions form (available from the ATO website.)

The completed form must be sent to us at

PO Box 223
Civic Square ACT 2608

You must submit the form before the end of the following financial year to be able to claim a deduction.

We will send you an acknowledgment of the form which you can provide as part of your tax information.

AvSuper and the self-employed

As an AvSuper accumulation member, you can claim a deduction as long as no more than 10% of your total income comes from an employer. This includes Public Offer, Spouse and ASA/CASA sponsored members.

Did you know that AvSuper members can make self-employed contributions? If you are thinking of making self-employed contributions, read about our public offer section in our PDS to see if it suits your needs, or contact us for more information.

Phone 1300 128 751 (Local call)